Wednesday, June 1, 2011

New Pattern: Sweatbands

Hey everyone!!!

I've been thinking about putting up my own patterns for a while, but never had anywhere to publish them. But I just realized that now I do!!! Actually, I just designed this pattern today, because I've been going back to my exercise regimen and my hair keeps flopping in my face. I looked on Ravelry, but I couldn't really find a simple, stretchy, easy-to-knit sweatband. So I decided to make my own. It's a very easy pattern, worked flat in Garter Stitch, although I'm sure you can easily do it in 1x1 Ribbing in the round. The total time I took to knit this was less than an hour and a half, so I'm probably gonna end up knitting one to match every outfit I have. Even though it looks more like black, this sweatband was knitted in a nice Navy Blue that matched my Navy Blue polo shirt and Navy Blue shorts with red and white stripes perfectly. And with my Fashion Statement aside, let's get to the pattern!!!





Yarn: Lily Sugar N' Cream Solids (100% U.S.A-Grown Cotton, Worsted Weight, 120 yd/109 m, 2.5 oz/ 71 g) in color 00009: Bright Navy. (You don't necessarily have to use Sugar N' Cream, just as long as it a worsted-weight cotton.)


Needles: Size U.S. 7. (This is really up to you. I've just always used size 7's with Sugar N' Cream, and I'm not sure why...)

Gauge: Gauge isn't terribly important for this project, but mine is: 10 sts. and 10 rows in Garter st. roughly equal a 2"x2"square, un-stretched.


Pattern:
CO 10 sts. (Or however wide you want)

Knit in Garter Stitch until it is long enough to stretch around your head. Make sure that it actually has to stretch to fit your head, otherwise it'll fall off. I had to knit 110 rows for a circumference of 25" or so.
BO loosely, leaving long tail.


Finishing: Line up CO and BO edges and sew them together with BO tail. Weave in ends.

5 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting this! I have been searching the internet for ages trying to find a simple, sweatband pattern. I was really hoping to make them with vertical stripes though. Like blue/lime green/blue...something like that. Any tips??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got variety of Sweatbands, Armbands and Headbands in different clours-plain sweatbands or custom printed sweatbands form WIZID_Australia. It’s unbelievable we can create our own Sweatbands online, they provided bulk discounts, delivery Australia wide.http://www.wizid.com.au/sweatbands
    Sweatbands Australia

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really appreciate this wonderful image that you have provided for us.Thanks for sharing this image.awesome post...

    ReplyDelete
  4. can you make one that doesnt have a seam?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would either have to knit it in the round the long way(around the circumference of your head) or you would have to use a provisional cast on (like a crocheted cast on.) Here is a link on how to do that:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ke2igp-kVQg

      and then you would graft the two ends together using the kitchener stitch and here is a good video demonstrating that:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gq-qP-SPDuM

      I hope this helps. Happy Knitting.

      Delete